Z-LASIK in New York, NY
Making LASIK surgery safer: Dr. Bonanni’s Z Lasik™ all-laser LASIK alternative
Many of Dr. Bonanni’s New York and Manhattan patients prefer the Z Lasik™ all-laser LASIK advantage.
By replacing the blade commonly used in traditional LASIK practices, Dr. Bonanni’s Z Lasik™ all-laser LASIK alternative has made LASIK eye surgery safer than ever before. With this precision technology, the microkeratome – a blade that is commonly used to cut the corneal tissue in many of the LASIK surgeries we perform – is replaced with a femtosecond laser, producing the Z Lasik™ all-laser LASIK system. This system separates corneal tissue at the molecular level, resulting in a superior corneal flap.
The Z Lasik™ method uses the laser’s energy to create the flap by inserting a precise pattern of tiny overlapping spaces underneath the corneal surface. The laser is extremely fast (pulsing at one quadrillionth of a second), allowing the targeted tissue to be divided at a molecular level without damage to the surrounding tissue.
The Ziemer laser delivers micron-level accuracy, for more accurate and consistent flap thickness-which is critical for a successful LASIK outcome. While microkeratomes are safe and provide good results, the degree of precision made possible by the Z Lasik™ all-laser LASIK method is unprecedented in flap creation technology. With Z Lasik™ you now have the assurance of knowing that the first step in LASIK eye surgery will be safer and more accurate than ever before, further ensuring the best LASIK results possible. Dr. Bonanni believes that his patients should have access to the most advanced procedures and equipment available. The Z Lasik™ method is one of the many breakthrough technologies he offers to enhance patient satisfaction.
- Z-LASIK offers many advantages that lead to better results:
- Z-LASIK has an extremely low impact on the eye: The procedure takes only a few minutes per eye. The time the laser is in contact with the eye is reduced to a minimum.
- Z-LASIK is comfortable and painless.
- Z-LASIK helps in severe cases: Thanks to the extremely high frequency of the laser pulses, the layers of the cornea are separated with unprecedented precision, creating an ultra-thin flap. Z-LASIK is therefore effective in patients who were previously not candidates for laser surgery. Including those patients with extreme myopia or thin corneas.
- No inflammation: The laser energy used for Z-LASIK is 100 times less powerful than with other femto- laser procedures. This is gentler to the corneal tissue and prevents temporary inflammatory reactions of the eye often seen with other laser technologies.
- Fast result: The recovery period is shorter than for other techniques. Visual improvement is often noticeable within a few hours.
- Fewer side effects: Z-LASIK enables the surgeon to enlarge the treatment zone. This reduces the risk of undesirable side effects such as dry eyes, deteriorated night vision or haloes (rings of light that surround point sources of light).
The Ziemer FS laser uses infrared light to precisely cut tissue by a process known as photodisruption. The specialized software that supports the Ziemer laser directs the process of focusing the laser beam into a tiny, 2-3 micron spot of energy. The beam passes harmlessly through the outer layers of the cornea until it reaches its exact focal point within the stroma.
Upon reaching this focal point, the beam forms microscopic bubbles. Thousands of these bubbles are placed at a precisely controlled depth. Using the rapidly fired Ziemer laser and interconnecting the bubbles very tightly creates a corneal flap with remarkable precision and accuracy.
If you live in New York or Manhattan, and find that you are still unsure of the distinction between traditional and bladeless, all-laser LASIK, you are not alone. Many patients are confused when making this decision. Dr. Bonanni will discuss both traditional and bladeless, all-laser LASIK during your initial consultation, and he encourages any questions you may have.
If you think that bladeless, all-laser Z-LASIK is the right choice for your LASIK laser vision correction surgery, please contact us today.